Postal Life Insurance
Postal Life Insurance is 117 years young. It was started in
1884 as a welfare measure for the employees of Posts &
Telegraphs Department under Government of India dispatch No.
299 dated 18-10-1882 to the Secretary of State. Due to
popularity of its schemes, various departments of Central
and State Governments were extended its benefits. Now Postal
Life Insurance is open for employees of all Central and
State Government Departments, Nationalized Banks, Public
Sector Undertakings, Financial Institutions, Local Bodies
like Municipalities and Zila Parisads, Educational
Institutions aided by the Government etc
Rural Postal Life Insurance
On 24th March, 1995, the benefits of Postal Life Insurance
were extended to rural populace of the country under the
banner of Rural Postal Life Insurance
Postal Life Insurance Schemes
- Whole Life Assurance
- Endowment Assurance
- Convertible Whole Life Assurance
- Anticipated Endowment Assurance
- Joint Life Endowment Assurance.
Rural Postal Life Insurance Schemes
- Whole Life Insurance (WL) Plan
- Convertible Whole Life Insurance (CWL) Plan.
- Endowment Assurance (EA) Plan
- Anticipated Endowment Assurance (AEA) Plan
10 years Rural PLI Plan
Eligibility for taking a Postal Life Insurance Policy
- Age: Between 19 and 50 years as on next birth date of the
- Employees of Central and State Governments, Defence
- Extra Departmental Agents and industrial and work-charged
employees in the Department of Posts and
- Govt. aided Educational Institutions, Universities
established by Government Local bodies like Municipalities,
Zila Parisad, Mahanagar Palika
- All nationalized banks, RBI, SBI Subsidiaries
- State and Central Govt. Undertakings, corporations, boards,
organizations and financial institutions like UTI, IDBI,
ISRO, KPTCL, KSRTC, SAIL, VSNL ,BSNL,MTNL etc.
- 100% security by Government of India
- Income Tax Rebate under Sec. 88.
- Low Premium.
- High Bonus.
- Options for Loan, Assignment, Surrender, Conversion and Paid
- Repayment of Loan is optional. However interest is payable
every 6 months.
- Easy transfer to any place in India free of cost.
- Pass book facility for payment of premia & other payments
like loan, interest through any Departmental Post Office.
- Pay recovery facility for Institutions and Organizations
having more than 20 policies.
- Facility for payment of premia monthly, half yearly and
annually on any working day of the month for which it is
- Rebate @ 1% for payment of 6 months premia in advance.
- Rebate @ 2% for payment of 12 months premia in advance.
Facility for revival of policies lapsed due to non-payment
Payment of policy money through any Post Office, anywhere in
Centralized accounting for quick and easy settlement of
claims through fully computerized office management.
For more details contact
|Director Postal Services
|The Dy, Divisional Manager(PLI)
o/o Chief PMG
NE Circle, Shillong 793001